Tue, 04/23/2013 - 2:58pm -- Anonymous
We are preparing to vacate our apartment. We were given a list of items that we needed to replace (such as drip pans on the stove) and items we needed to pay to replace if they were broken (such as blinds). We moved in on July 15, 2011 and will vacate on May 31, 2013. This is the first time I will have to pay for this out of all the places (total of 3) I have rented. Wouldn't drip pans and blinds be covered under normal wear and tear? Also, is there any legal relief when a landlord is violating the terms of their own lease in regards to parking lot issues? It wouldn't even bother me as much as it is if it wasn't for them going online and responding to complaints as if they have resolved a problem simply by putting it in writing when they rarely enforce it. When they have enforced it, they have forced handicapped people to have their cars moved to the overflow lot, which is not near our building. Finally, how can we get our apartment inspected to determine if there are building or health code violations? I have reason to believe there are several - including the parking lot, lack of insulation, windows, and the excessive heat in our apartment even when the heat is turned "off" (apparently this is an ongoing problem that they have been aware of based upon my conversations with at least one of my neighbors). I simply want to know if I should hire an attorney to address the issues above or if I should just let it go because I am leaving and the cost of an attorney would be much more than having to deal with the above. Thank you!

What is considered "normal wear and tear" in an apartment (and additional questions in description)?

No answers yet